9 Best Gaming Keyboards for PC Gamers in 2017
If you are a gaming geek, you will be looking for a nice, sleek gaming keyboard that goes with all the other gear you’ve bought. Finding a standard, a cheaper keyboard is really easy, but, when you are into gaming, you need high performance. Your own expertise and efficiency are as good as a surgeon sans tools if you do not have the necessary equipment that aids your performance. Enter, the gaming Keyboard.
Best Gaming Keyboards for PC Gamers in 2017
- Corsair STRAFE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
- Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition Gaming Keyboard
- Logitech G610 Orion Mechanical Keyboard for Gaming
- Corsair Gaming K95 Back-Lit Mechanical Keyboard
- Razer Ornata Chroma Ergonomic Gaming Keyboard
- SteelSeries Apex M500 Mechanical PC Gaming Keyboard
- Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Mechanical Keyboard
- Corsair K95 Platinum Back-Lit Gaming Keyboard
- Roccat ISKU FX Multicolor Back-Lit Keyboard for Gamers
Amongst so many options based on design, features, and comfort, which one’s the best and deserves to come home? Unlike other essentials, the right keyboard is the one that feels just right! Since you will actually be using the keyboard at home, you need to be at comfort with it.
Just a few trials can give you a good idea about how much it gets along with your speed and capabilities. Spend wisely, and make an informed decision, as the keyboard will last you several years. Here are the 9 best gaming keyboards that are preferred and shipped to passionate gamers all over the world. Lets have a look.
Can't Find What You're Looking For?View More Gaming Keyboard
Buying Guide – Gaming Keyboards for PC Gamers
If you are an avid gamer, no matter how professional or passionate, your regular gaming equipment may be the reason you are not quite going up in the game. The keyboard for one is the major reason for not letting you perform to your fullest.
While the regular, standard keyboard has everything you may need for your work and gaming, there are certain specialized features it fails to provide. While it may not disrupt the usual work and the game, however, it may not be as helpful as the specialized gaming keyboards.
See Also: Top Gaming Mouse Pads and Keyboard Mats for Your Gaming Set up.
So, what exactly do these gaming keyboards have? Lets have a look.
This is one of the prime factors that distinguishes the gaming keyboard from the normal one. The mechanical switches give you the instant feedback, which enhances the overall experience of the game.
If you an enthusiast who wishes to match up the gaming gear with the whole gaming setup, say a gaming keyboard and a mouse, then this is a great feature. Although it adds up the overall cost, but the look and feel it gives to your setup, makes it all worth it.
One of the highlights of these gaming keyboards is the backlight. You can choose from the monochrome, multi RGB spectrum lights right up to no lights. Although the lighting is not too much of a requisite for gaming, it definitely adds to the appeal. If you own a gaming desk and other gear with lights, then this feature will definitely be a great add-on to sync those babies right.
Macros actually are the features for customization. These are programmable buttons that remember a certain action and use the same when required. These help serves as shortcuts’, and are part of the higher end specialized keyboards.
Many of these keyboards also have LCD displays and also touch functions that make these easier to use and add to the appeal.
The extra keys are there to be customized for action. The keys are best for the games that can be programmed for action once so that the same can be utilized to enhance the users capability.
Do You Really Need a Gaming Keyboard?
The answer to this depends on YOU. Assess your gaming needs. What kind of a player are you? If you only indulge into a gaming session when you get some free-time, which happens a few times a week only, you do not necessarily have to spend time and money on one.
Plus, if you like to play alone, that too is helpful for deciding upon the keyboard. As some of these are available for the single users, while others with multiple action buttons for the multi-users.
Also, the type of game you are hooked on to is important. You have other hardware like the mouse, which allow more features and ease of use. The keyboards are essentially designed for the strategic gaming rounds.
Types of Keyboards
Wired Gaming Keyboards
As the name goes, these come with a wire that has to be plugged into the PC for getting it started. Although these are fairly easy to setup, they usually do not even require a software that has to be installed. These are usually preferred by the gamers due to the fast transmission and action.
The wired keyboards just like the wired mouse perform better and transmit the signals faster as compared to the wireless ones.
Wireless Gaming Keyboards
These are the recent tech advanced types. Usually connected through the Bluetooth or RF connectivity, these are gaining immense popularity by the day. The signals are transmitted via the radio waves of the Bluetooth.
These are great for getting rid of all the extra wires on the table and give you a great range as well. However, the battery life and at times lag, do not let these be the top choice for the gamers.
The Types of Gaming Keyboards
Since the keyboard for gaming has to be usable for doing other work as well, it leaves little margin for complete personalized features. Here are a few of the general types you will find in the markets:
- Mechanical Keyboards: These are quite similar to the normal keyboards we have at work. But these may have a few of the features such as the backlights and some spare keys for gaming.
- Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) Keyboards: These are exclusively for the potent gamers. These keyboards have lots of macros which help enhance the gamers experience. However, with all the features and extra keys, these are often much larger than the standard keyboards and of course, higher in costs.
- Tenkeyless Keyboards: These keyboards are quite compact both in size as well as weight and can be carried around wherever needed. The best part is, you do not have to put in many dollars on these as compared to their counterparts.
The gaming keyboards have just one downside – these arent cheap. All manufacturers set their own prices depending on the features and the brand names. While the price is dependent on a number of factors such as the costs involved, the retail margin, latest tech features, etc. there are certain boundaries that can help you in making the purchase.
Experts have categorized the keyboards according to various price bands.
- Under $100:Usually, the older versions and membrane types fall into this category. The manufacturers aren’t renowned nor do they belong to the top tiers.
- From $100 – $150:In this band, you will find many of the good models. The keyboards that cost around this much are generally feature packed with backlights (usually in a single color) and have many of the extra keys. The other features such as the macros may not be there.
- Over $150:You can have unlimited options over this price range. The keyboards have all the fun features, such as multi-coloured RGB lights to suit your tastes, macros, style and appeal. So, if you are looking for something to enhance the gaming experience, or a keyboard to go with your gear, these are simply great!
Although the keyboard may cost a lot more – talking hundreds of bucks here – however, it all pays off in the long run. Just like other cheap gear, which costs less, the low-priced versions may sound rather appealing. However, what good is one if it doesn’t even last a few years?
A good gaming keyboard not just makes it all the more comfortable for you, but lasts several years giving you the same level of performance, every time. Want to know more about comfort? Click here to see the top chairs for comfortable gaming.
Are Mechanical Key Switches or Rubber-dome Key Switches Best for Gaming?
Generally, the Mechanical key switches are considered the best and preferred by the gamers. Reason being, these are highly durable, give the satisfying click sound and easy to work with.
When engrossed in a gaming session, it is usual practice for things to get a little wild. You may find yourself hitting the keys like the world knows no end.
The most frustrating thing, at this point, would be if the keyboard fails to get you the action you are looking for. The speed and level of responsiveness are most important here. The easier it gets to hit the keys, the better it is for the gamer. Hence, we vote for the mechanical keyboard as it requires less effort from the user to get the desired response.
Plus, since the music is loud for most gamers, the click sound can easily be ignored.
What Is a Mechanical Keyboard?
The most in thing these days and popular amongst gamers is the mechanical gaming keyboard. Named mechanical’ due to it working, as it has real switches under the keys which enable the signal to move from the pressure laid on the key to the PC.
Theres actually a plastic/rubber switch under each key that acts as a bridge between the user and the computer and transmits the message across as a signal. The pros of this type are that it doesnt make much noise, and you can work silently and in peace without having to frantically press each key to work. It is built to match the highest standards and has spring activated keys. The keyboard comes with a variety of features such as the LED lights and PCB board.
However, the main factor that makes this standout, is the way it feels’. The comfort, ease of use, and the construction, all make it the number one choice of the energetic younger lot today. Plus, the keyboard is spill-resistant and very fast.
What Are the Benefits of Swappable Key Caps?
Although for most of us the thought of swapping the existing keys wouldnt ever cross the mind. However, this feature actually has a number of advantages for the user.
- Cleaning:When you remove the existing key caps, you will notice a build-up of dust and tiny food particles underneath the keys. It gives you an opportunity to cleanse the area of all such particles which usually remain unseen and unthought-of.
- Silencing Feature:Many of the newer types help quieten the clicking sound of the keyboard.
- A New Sense of Touch: The new keys will help give you a new feel of the keyboard. There are also many types which help keep it safe from scratches accumulation of dust and the greasy feel of sweaty hands.
What Are the Advantages of a Gaming Keyboard Over a Standard One?
While you may think a keyboard is just a keyboard, designed to press keys and get the desired action, the recent gaming versions have various advantages.
For instance, the gaming version has certain special keys that you wouldn’t find in the normal, standard keyboard. These are especially for the gamers and help you perform better by utilizing many options/functions which the other keyboards do not support.
Here are a few of the major benefits these keyboards have which makes them stand out from their counterparts:
- The feel of the keyboard is great! The number one reason gamers prefer this type is because of the way it adds to the comfort level and puts everything in your favor during the game.
- The keys are also strategically placed to help you in accessing them with ease.
- Many also have special features such as key backlighting, which makes it easier to use and see in the dark.
- They have various other features such as wrist rest, anti-ghosting features, LCD displays, etc.
With these gaming keyboards, you have seen how technology has given mankind its best. Why deny the comfort, peace, and relaxation these gaming keyboards offer when you can easily add an improvement to your gaming experience?
A relaxed gamer is always a better performer and a keen learner, if not always the winner. If you are much into gaming and want to see these keyboards in action, heres a great video. Enjoy!